Thursday, March 3, 2011

Two Pink Lines

It's amazing the emotions that two pink, faint lines will invoke. I've been so nervous, so hopeful. Six negative pregnancy tests later, I was anxious.
I thought for sure I was pregnant after I woke up and promptly vomited. Me, who has thrown up due to sickness three times in my life. Only one pink line...
I went off birth control at the end of December 2010. Richard scoured the Internet, taking notes on how to conceive a girl. I began tracking my ovulation, determining when would be the best days to conceive a daughter. (Although we will be delighted and blessed if we have a boy).
We told only a handful of people we were going to start trying. Including my mom who recruited my cousin to call me and tell me how to conceive a girl. After that, I told my mom to stop telling people. I didn't want to be asked if I was pregnant yet. I didn't want any well meaning advice to keep trying if we had negative pregnancy tests. I didn't want to see the look of sad hope on people's faces if it took months or years to conceive.
Richard and I were lucky with Christian. I got pregnant in the first month. But I didn't know if that was a fluke or luck or damn good timing. While my sister had no problem conceiving her second and my mom only had issues conceiving the third (taking 1 1/2 years to become pregnant with me), I didn't want the expectation to be there. I had never had a negative pregnancy test and I didn't know how it would affect me.
The waiting for that second pink line to form, my heart pounding, my butt tingling in excitement, holding my breath. And when no second pink line forms, my throat tightens, my breath lets out in one big sigh, and I'm overwhelmed with disappointment. And my darling husband reassures me that it will happen.
And we are blessed and oh so lucky. Far luckier than many. Although I didn't know how fertile we were, I knew we didn't have any fertility issues. So I can only rejoice and be ecstatic that becoming pregnant with baby #2 only took 2 months.

On Monday, I spent most of the morning slightly nauseous. And Tuesday when my period did not make and appearance and the nauseous swept over me when I first rolled out of bed, the hope started to build, starting in my heart and slowly covering the rest of me. On Tuesday, still no period and I let my curiosity and hope win over. I took the test while Christian chowed down on fruit snacks. A few minutes later, I raced up the stairs to the bathroom. And there it was: two pink lines....

No comments:

Post a Comment